Preventing Credit Fraud
December 27, 2014
Preventing Credit Fraud
Credit card fraud has become quite common, and it happens in various ways. Even though, preventing credit fraud might not always be easy, one can try to create obstacles so that it cannot be misused.
How Does Card Fraud Happen?
Well, it is quite easy, due to the growing use of technology and online transactions. Anybody can hack the net and get hold of the credit card numbers and other account information. In fact, the thieves can also get hold of the discarded credit card statements, and use the information for purchasing online.
So, How Can You Prevent Credit Fraud?
Well, all it takes for preventing credit fraud is to follow some practices in the daily routines, and daily lives:
• Make a note of the account numbers, credit card numbers, expiration dates, and the phone numbers, so that you can report the fraud, when it happens.
• Do not lend the credit card to anybody. And, don’t leave the card, statements or receipts anywhere. Try to shred the statements and receipts, when they are no longer required.
• Do not reveal the account numbers to anybody over the phone.
• Do not stuff the cards in the wallet. Try to keep them separately so that they do not get stolen along with everything else. If you have multiple cards, carry only what is required, and not everything else.
• Keep a close watch on the card, when the card is being swiped in. Also, ensure that you retrieve the card back, soon after the transaction is done.
• Never sign on blank receipts. And, try to save the receipt stubs so that you can compare them with the statement.
• Keep checking your statement online, so that you can reconcile them, more promptly.
• And, if you see any questionable charges, report it to the card issuer immediately.
• Also, if there are any address changes, or travel plans, inform the card issuer.
• Do not write the account number anywhere.
• While using the public computer, try to remove the history so that the account number information does not get saved anywhere.
Well, these were some of the fool proof methods for preventing credit fraud. When you follow these steps, you would be able to remain safe and secured. And, in case your card gets lost or stolen, report it immediately to the card issuer, so that it gets blocked by the issuer, and is not misused further.